Coda File System

oddity when restoring a coda client

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:21:19 +1030 (CST)
Folks,
        I have noticed an interesting thing when I went through the
process of upgrading my hard disks on a couple of machines and noticed
an oddity with the coda client.  During the change over, I carefully
shutdown venus and then used dump/restore to copy the files from my
old hard disk to the new one.  When I brought up coda on the new
machine everything started fine and /coda was mounted.  I could see
all the file _names_ and attributes in my coda tree but when I tried
to access a file it was empty.  The files on the server were ok
because a different client showed the correct file contents and when I
did a "venus -init" on the affected client suddenly the files had
contents.  Why would this be?