Coda File System

Re: codasrv quits uppon startup

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:39:36 +0930 (CST)
According to Nix:

>Not quite. At install time it should be being run with the
>`--mode=install' flag, and it looks like it isn't being. (It would be
>relinked to point to the right place if --mode=install was running and
>working right; that's basically what --mode=install is for.)

But it _IS_ - this is what confuses me.

>Er, then how do you instruct the dynamic linker to look in particular
>directories for shared libraries? Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or LD_RUN_PATH
>the only way?

That is what the -R and -L/-l flags are for.  The -R allows you to
point at uninstalled libraries to resolve addresses against (these
file names do not get included in the linked file), the -L inserts the
run-time library path.  If you Do The Right Thing (tm) then you do not
need the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

>Do you mean .la?

probably.

>(Don't do that. libtool works this out for itself, but you must run
>--mode=install and --mode=finish at the right times.)

Yes, I believe this is being done but things are not working right.

I think this problem has departed somewhat from the list topic.  Can
we take this offline?  I would appreciate some help with getting this
fixed and you sound like you know something about libtool.... :-)

>--
>`You're not fun.  I tried to start a holy war, but you replied in
>a reasonable manner.' --- Vadik

Geez, what a wet blanket ;-)