Coda File System

Re: newbie question2

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:09:57 -0400
On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:13:51AM +0800, tin wrote:
> hi all:
>
> after mount coda , when i touch a file to /coda
> touch: creating `/coda/ab': Permission denied
>
> where can set permission and howto login?

You need to obtain a token so that Coda can check your identity.

$ clog <adminusername>
password: <adminpassword>

> and i don't understand some questions in vice-setup
> 1. Setting up ROOTVOLUME file
> Enter the name of the rootvolume (< 32 chars) :
>
> Is this rootvolume for store my data or store metadata?

This is the first volume that will be mounted by a client as the root of
the Coda tree, it shows up on all clients under /coda.

> 2.Setting up users and groups for Coda
> You need to give me a uid (not 0) and username (not root)
> for a Coda System:Administrator member on this server,
> (sort of a Coda super user)
> Enter the uid of this user: 500
> Enter the username of this user: test
>
>  when i will using this user?

When you use clog, the initial password is probably set to "changeme".

> 3. What is your data partition (or file)? /dev/hdc7
> The data size must be approx 4% of you server file space.  We
> have templates for servers of approx: 500M, 1G, 2.2G, 3.3G, 8G
> (you can store less, but not more on such servers).
> The corresponding data sizes are  22M, 44M, 90M, 130M, 315M.
> Pick one of the defaults, otherwise I will bail out
> What is the size of you data partition (or file)
> [22M, 44M, 90M, 130M, 200M, 315M]: 44M
>
> What this for? metadata? or store my data file?

RVM is used to store the metadata. The file data typically goes into
files on /vicepa, however directories and attribute information is
stored in RVM.

> 4. can i install coda server and coda client in
>     same machine?

Yes, that should be no problem.