Coda File System

understanding permissions and changing user id's

From: Kelly Corbin <kcorbin_at_theiqgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:07:01 -0500
I'm a bit confused about how the permission system works on /coda.  Upon
copying some directories into /coda, ls -l shows the files as owned by
the previous respective owners which don't exist as coda users.  Why
don't the files show up as owned by the coda user doing the copying?  Do
each of those users need to be logged into coda as a coda user who has
permissions to that volume?  If so, can they be logged in as the same
coda user and would they have the same permission granularity as if they
were on the regular filesystem?

Am I even making sense here?

The docs are sorely lacking in explaining the permission system.  It
says to use chmod for individual files; can you use chown as well?

Why do some files I create show up as owned by the user id (not
username) of the coda user I am rather than as a regular system user?

Also, I'm trying to change the user id for the administrative user in
pdbtool, but not all references to that id are changed.  I want to free
up that id so I can match my current system user ids for consistency
across the system.  If I change the id and do a 'list', the
System:Administrators owner id still shows the old value and now I can't
do anything as the coda admin until I change it back.  Same with any
groups that are owned by the user whose id I'm trying to change.  Is
this a bug in pdbtool?

Thanks!

Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin