Coda File System

Re: CODA Over ADSL connections.

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:50:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Thomas Cherryhomes wrote:

> 1. What parameters should I set for rpc2 and sftp for suitable packet
> queue sizes and timeout values for an ADSL connection like the one I
> described above?

There's no easy way to force these values - Coda will adjust them
automatically based on what it measures. Its estimation is thrown off by
the asymmetricity and the effect of outgoing traffic on incoming
bandwidth. The main symptom is that file writes sometimes time out because
it doesnt expect the outgoing connection to be so slow. cfs weak solves
this if you can give up some consistency.

We have some ADSL users here (I'm waiting for mine to be installed) and
are experimening with estimating bandwith in each direction separately,
but that needs more work right now.

> housed.) ... Is there a way to do an automatic login with clog ?? (i.e.
> force-feeding clog the password somehow?)

This is covered in another recent post, basically :
cat passwordfile | clog

> 3. Is the windows 9x client being maintained at all? I tried it and it
> seemed extremely unstable (of course, that was in your disclaimer so I
> am not pointing fingers. hehehe.)

Its on the back burner at the moment in favor of increasing the stability
of the unix clients, but we will get back to it.

http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.0.4/win9x/Install.exe

> Regardless of what happens with this client.. The stability and
> flexibility that coda has shown on the UNIX side has shown me that I can
> use it here at our establishment for our file storage needs.. An
> excellent system! Great work guys, Coda kicks ass!

Thank you very much,
Shafeeq