Coda File System

Re: what do these messages mean?

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:17:47 +0930 (CST)
According to Steffen Neumann:

>It tells you that these files/dirs are not (yet)
>in the venus cache.

Yes, that is what I thought.

>There is (at least) two possibilities:
>
>1) I assume that your /coda/working keeps growing...
>   Then there are some poor files that just don't make it
>   into your cache. How big is venus cache ?

The smallest option - 22M IIRC

>   How big is /coda/working ?

About 6.5M

>2) If this happens shortly after compiling the stuff
>   (seems to be the forms library...) and the messages
>   result from a hoard verify, then it could be that
>   the periodic hoard walk has not reached those files yet.

Dunno - some of them are source files.  I do my development for my
projects on /coda so I can hack my code on the train.  I have had
instances recently where a file I have been actively working on on the
laptop has been expired from my laptop cache the next day.  There was
a server connection between my working on the file and the file
expiring from cache.  The codacon does show a lot of validates
happening all the time there is a network connection between my laptop
and the server - this has been happening for a while but I have been
helping debug some Coda issues with another NetBSD developer and put
the odd behaviour down to problems with the kernel level code.  I
believe that the kernel stuff is now working ok but I still see a lot
of validations and back fetches for files I have not touched in ages
and have had recently touched files kicked out of the cache for no
apparent reason.

>First guess would be 1) though ;-)

I could do some pruning.... that may help.