Coda File System

Re: R: R: coda + reiserfs

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:17:19 -0400
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 04:36:59PM +0200, Andrea Cerrito wrote:
> Surely, having fses on reiserfs is not a bad idea... but I think that is
> paranoid to have reiserfs to speed up the cache of a network fs!! I'm using
> reiserfs for my cache dir of squid, because with 6gb of data it surely makes
> the difference... but for a little cache, and when you say that may exist
> some overheads, I don't see any really advantage.

I compare Coda more with squid than with NFS, and hope that at some
point it will be normal to run with a 6GB venus.cache.

> Anyway, a config option for optimizing is always welcome: but may the option
> be changed on-the-way? ;)

It would affect the way files are placed in venus.cache. If the option
is changeable between restarts without reinitializing venus, we would
have to tear down/rebuild the hierarchical layout of venus.cache. I'm
guessing that is too much effort for a 'one-time' optimization.

We could modify some benchmark app that can measure the difference so
that we can decide on the 'optimal' layout before starting the client.
f.i. modify the postmark benchmark to compare a run in a hierarchical
tree vs. a flat directory layout.