Coda File System

Re: Adding Coda Servers to Replication Group

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:21:03 -0400
On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 04:42:11PM -0700, Jacob S. Barrett wrote:
> replicated volumes to new servers.  I have Coda running on one server
> right now, but I am trying to introduce a new machine into the group.  I
> wan't it to replicate the root volume as well as a few others.  I have
> added it to the correct volume replication groups.  Now I need to know
> how to get the replication to take place.  Is this possible or do I have
> to delete and recreate the volumes to do it?

Currently you need to delete and recreate the volumes, because the
servers don't know how to handle changes in the VSGDB, so they will be
confused about who is a member and who isn't. There is also no way of
informing clients that the cached volume replication information is
stale.

I've been thinking about adding this functionality and the clients are
almost ready for it, they (hopefully) just need some sort of callback to
trigger revalidation of the cached replicated volume information. The
server side of the equation still needs a lot of work.