Coda File System

Timeouts... is there a workaround?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:12:21 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello!

There was a discussion some time ago pointing to hash algorythms causing
disconnected mode because of high processor load on bigger caches.

It looks like I get exactly that behaviour, timeouts on
files occur during compilations, then I find the client in disconnected
mode, then I can read the file in question after "cfs cs".

"cfs strong" does not get rid of such disconnections. I can make the
things better by using smaller cache, but it is not something I like as it
limits the accessible file size.

Although it is mostly a problem for one of my clients that is a 486/66, it
feels very annoying. I have played with cache size and I recall that even
with 50M cache I had to avoid high load - no makes, no gimp...

Well it may take less effort to upgrade the computer than to fix venus,
but the problem exists in general, just the cache size limit usually is
higher.

Is there a way to convince the system that long delays are ok?
(assuming that it is hard to change the algorythms)

Server: 5.3.14, Debian Linux 2.2r2 (server only), Pentium 100
Client: kernel 2.2.18pre21, kernel module 5.3.8, venus 5.3.14, Debian
Linux 2.2r2 (client only), 486DX2/66

Regards,
--
Ivan