Coda File System

Re: "Connection timed out" and "mount system call failed"

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:02:04 -0400
On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 10:01:05PM +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> > I have been trying for two solid days (plus on and off before that) to
> > get coda to work, but it won't even though I have read the documentation
> > and am using the latest version.  I have checked the mailing list
> > archives about the current problems, but none of the responses listed
> > there shed any light.
>
> Although, typically, I have just re-read one from Jan that perhaps
> does.  It suggests I check dmesg, and lo and behold:

> coda_pioctl: Venus returns: -110 for (0x7f000002,0x1,0x1)

-110 is ETIMEDOUT, so this is the same error as the one plagueing you
when venus does start up. So the only real question is, why is your
client timing out on sending RPC2's to the server.

Is there a firewall that you are going through between the client and
the server, or anything that masquerades/remaps portnumbers? What kind
of network are you using, such as a heavily used ppp dialup link?