Coda File System

Re: Problems with tar archives

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:28:48 -0400
On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:45:59PM +0200, Matthias Teege wrote:
> So I do an venus -init & wich works and then try again my cvsup command.
>
> The point, venus stopped working is always different and I can't find any
> hint in the venus.log.
>
> How do I debug such thing?

Check the venus.log file, especially near the end. (probably in
/usr/coda/etc/venus.log. If it doesn't show anything interesting, start
venus with 'venus -init -d 10', then there should be a _lot_ more stuff
in the venus.log to the point that it actually becomes hard to notice
the interesting messages.

The loglevel can be changed at run-time using "vutil -d"

10 is typically overly verbose, but useful for debugging, 100 is waaaay
out of there, but you see pretty much any message that the client can
possibly give.

However, if it really is a crash (null-ptr or something) the easiest
way that I've found is to run venus under gdb, which catches the
segfault and then grabs a stacktrace.