Coda File System

Re: Compatibility between minor versions.

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:47:36 -0400
On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 01:16:05PM -0500, ctest_at_neural.dlsemc.com wrote:
> I've got 5.3.13, and the client is crashing out ("process becomming a
> zombie") occasionally.  I want to upgrade the client to 5.3.15.  Is it
> ok to run a 5.3.15 client with a 5.3.13 server, or do i have to
> upgrade the server, and all the clients simutainiously?  (i want to
> avoid this if possible, in case my "upgrade" breaks stuff, that way i
> haven't taken down the whole network, just one instance)

As we have both developers and normal users here who all rely on the
same group of servers, newer clients under development typically are
running with servers that are one or two releases older. Also because
not everyone is always too eager to upgrade their working client, the
servers are generally capable of supporting all clients that have the
same first two digits in their released version number.

So a 5.3.13 server 'should' be able to handle any client release between
5.3.1 and 5.3.15. Ofcourse there are probably exceptions to this rule.