Coda File System

add servers to a Coda cell

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:58:49 +0100 (MET)
Hello!

<emotion>
It looks like documentation does not relate to the reality...
</emotion>

:-)

It would help a lot with a (one page?) howto about adding a server to
existing setup. I mean a working one :) I tried to follow such one-pager
from the docs with no success.

One important thing would be a "don't" list - I suspect my problems might
be due to some basic mistake like using wrong libdb version, that I have
not thought about. (btw, what are the symptoms of incompatible libdb?)
Time skew between servers? Is two minutes too much? I run ntp but during
the installation ntp may be out of service...

I have survived a long time with one and only server, now it's time to
expand the system and I'm faced with the same problems Jeremy Malcolm
wrote about (he gave up on Coda at the end!).

It is no problem to set up a new scm and reconfigure clients to use it
instead of the old one. Not that I need it, just to illustrate that some
things do work.

It is no problem to set up a new non-scm machine, even create volumes on
it (shared with the old server, too), as long as I don't add an entry
for it in the "servers" file.

I can't use the new volumes - they become just dangling symlinks. No
surprise as "servers" does not contain may be the very important
reference?..
(but, what is the meaning with "servers"? all server hostnames are present
anyway in VSGDB?)

If I try to follow documentation (like adding the new server to servers
file on scm), the old server stops working with VolumeValidation failed
(and on the client a cruel child killing its parent)...

About the documentation - somewhere it talks about populating vicetab on
scm with new servers' entries - no way! it just makes scm (and the non-scm
party as well) to complain about /vicepa being double-used...
I suppose it is too old pages I have picked (but I think I've seen that
on the mailing list too).

Hope somebody knowledgeable (Jan is usually the most active in ansvering
questions) would explain the "do"s and "don't"s ?

Two "unusual" things about my setup:
 - kerberos-based authentication only
 - /vice on the second server is not in /vice but in /somewhere/else/vice,
   perfectly legitimate (and it works well as an independent server)
To the best of my knowledge those shouldn't make any difference.

Best regards,
--
Ivan