Coda File System

Re: Windows Binaries for CODA 5.3.18

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:03:39 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

>Let me give my greatest appologies for asking about win binaries, but
>unfortuently I have one machine that has to run Win9x and I'd like it
>to use CODA like the rest of the network.............. never the less:
>
>Are Windows binaries expected for CODA's new improvements as mentioned
>in the 5.3.18 changelog (namely XP install)?  It doesn't look
>like the binary releases on the FTP site have been updated in awhile,
>and unfortunetly I haven't the foggiest idea how to compile apps on Win32.
>Any timeframe?

Let me clarify the Windows support.

  Windows 9x and ME require completely different kernel support than Windows
NT, 2000 and XP.  The windows binaries that are expected for 5.3.18 are
included with the kernel support for NT, 2000 and XP.  They won't work on
the 9x/ME series.

  As for a timeframe, I'll say real soon now.

  If you can upgrade your 9x up to XP, you can use these binaries.

  There has been work in the past to support the 9x versions, but I'm not
sure of the current state of that work.  Someone else will have to answer
for Windows 9x/ME.

--Phil

p.s.  I understand that samba can export a coda file system as a SMB share.
That could at least get your 9x machine access to the file system.  You
would have to get the tokens on the machine running samba and I'm told it
is not the fastest arrangement, but it does give access.

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu