Coda File System

Re: can't create volume? Start client?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 18:57:21 -0400
On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:28:17PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> However, I'm a bit confused by the client setup instructions.
>
>         venus-setup server-name cache-size-in-kb

This simply sets the rootservers and cacheblocks parameters in
/etc/coda/venus.conf.

> users elsewhere (however, coda might not think that way, maybe you
> can't run a client on the same machine as the server).

This is done all the time, Coda doesn't care except if your routing is
broken and you can't ping the machine by it's own fqdn.

> After I run venus-setup nothing happens, no daemons started.

Yup, venus setup just sets vales in the configuration file. You need to
run 'venus' or user somethings like /etc/rc.d/init.d/venus.init start or
/etc/init.d/coda-client start to get the ball rolling.

> When I try to login I get an error:
>
>    Invalid login (RPC2_NOBINDING (F)).

This is unrelated to venus not yet running, you also seem to be not
running the auth2 daemon that handles authentication requests. And
probably are also missing rpc2portmap, updateclnt and updatesrv.

Try something like /etc/init.d/auth2.init start, and
/etc/init.d/update.init start.