Coda File System

Re: can't create volume? Start client?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:52:03 +0200 (MET DST)
On 4 May 2002, Nic Ferrier wrote:

> I'm trying to setup a client on the server. It seems like I *should*
> do this because then users on the server will see the same stuff as
> users elsewhere (however, coda might not think that way, maybe you
> can't run a client on the same machine as the server).

Hello Nic,

you definitely can use the server machine as a client,
but I see two drawbacks with that:

 - you use the server host for user logins, thus reducing the security of
the server - it is very useful to keep it more secure than an average
client machine and an average user account

 - it is harder for youself to realize which parts of the software and
setup belong to the server and which to the client

If none of the above matters in your case, then coda itself will not
hinder you in any way.

Unfortunately, I feel it is hard to guess what is missing in your
setup, without seeing it.
Keep trying!..

Regards,
--