Coda File System

Re: Coda and Samba

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2002 08:00:35 -0400
One issue I have had with accessing coda over samba is that samba
seems to open files for read/write, even if the underlying operation
on Windows should have been read only (i.e., if Windows is sensible,
which I realize is a counter-factual hypothesis).  This results in
writes to the coda server when the file is closed, even though the
file was not necessarily written to.  I have not fixed this, but it
has caused me to give up using samba to get at bits in coda.
(This is on FreeBSD 4.5 with samba 2.0.10, across a vmnet interface to
a vmware host on the same box.)

IMHO this is a bug in coda, but I realize it is hard to fix.
(Meaning, "open for read/write, read, read, close" should not cause a
store.)

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>