Coda File System

Status of Coda under Linux.

From: Erik Enge <eenge_at_prium.net>
Date: 09 Jul 2002 10:01:11 -0400
Hi.

We are contemplating replacing our current installation of AMD
(automounter) over NFS with Coda; under Linux 2.4.  A couple of
questions, which I couldn't get answers to from the documentation (or
due to my lack of reading skills ;-), has arisen:

  - If a client disconnects from the server because it cannot reach the
  server, will it reconnect by itself when it can reach it?

  - Is there a way to say: "Ok, if you cannot reach the server,
  propagate the error to the user instead of going to
  disconnected-mode."

  - How stable is the code?  We are using 5.3.19 right now and it seems
  to be working fine but I can't really tell until we've put it through
  some heavy testing.  Would you recommend using Coda in a production
  environment?  Is there somebody out there using Coda in a production
  environment?

  - Is there a resource somewhere that lists the current pros/cons of
  Coda?  Perhaps in the context of NFS/AMD or other distributed
  solutions.

Thanks for any help!  :-)

PS. Clicking on the FAQ-link on http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/index.html
tells me that the server is refusing my connection.

--
Erik Enge                                                eenge_at_prium.net
Software Engineer,                                          770-814-7164