Coda File System

Re: server authenticity

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:41:03 +0200 (MET DST)
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Brett Lymn wrote:

> Why does Coda have to solve this at all?  It sounds to me that what
> you are really wanting is an IPSec security association.

Coda is already solving a lot of security problems and has built in
means for doing that.

IPSec is a solution at a lower lever, for another (larger) set of
problems, and with different prerequisites than running a distributed file
system.

My assumption is that it is easier to maintain Coda security than IPSec
for the purposes of insecure Coda. (multiplied by the number of platforms)

If we'd assume that running IPSec and trusting the network will become
commonplace in the near future, then we might think that making Coda
dependent on IPSec is a good idea... may be :)

Best regards,
--
Ivan