Coda File System

Re: CHILD: mount system call failed

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:13:34 -0400

    R> The client's venus console reports this:

    R> 22:33:22 CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent.

    R> What's that mean? What's the likely cause? Help is
    R> appreciated. Thank you.

It means exactly what it says.  One possible cause is that /coda is
already mounted because you killed venus by some means other than
/etc/init.d/codaclient stop (or whatever the idiom is on your flavor
of Linux).  If you use kill or vutil shutdown, then you have to umount
/coda by hand.  (However, this normally generates an "already mounted"
message.)

Another is that you don't have the kernel module loaded.  Try modprobe
coda, then starting venus.  If that works, maybe you don't have the
appropriate alias in /etc/modules.conf.  Something like

# Coda's character device and devfs path.
alias char-major-67 coda
alias /dev/coda*    coda

(I think this is more likely to cause the "system call failed" message.)