Coda File System

Re: still losing with unresolvable conflicts, and Coda/IPsec HOWTO

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:59:23 +0930
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:19:18PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I'm still having serious Coda usability trouble, and I'm wondering if
> someone could replicate my setup or parts thereof.

Well, somewhat.  I have a couple of recentish NetBSD-current machines
that I run coda between, one is my laptop and the other is my server
at home.  I run ipsec over my wireless connection because I am
paranoid :-)

>   client security policy database

Not that I think it makes much difference but I use tunnel mode for my
ipsec not transport mode.

> Sometimes, this provokes 'connection unreachable' to the server.
> When this happens, the client goes disconnected, and in the most
> recent case, I had a CML of 16 entires:

have you tried setting the connection to strong?

I use CVS on my coda setup a lot, mind you, I do not do cvs operations
on the laptop when I am in connected mode (not for any Coda reason, it
is just the way my network topology is...), if I am at home then the
cvs operations happen on the server so I may be missing something due
to the good connection between server and client.  If I do do cvs
operations on the laptop then Coda is always in disconnected mode,
again not for any Coda reason, just the way my network is.

> So, I did 'cfs cs' and got a response, and was now in a conflict
> state.  Running repair, I did checklocal and found no conflict.  (Not
> surprising, since nothing had changed on the server, since no other
> clients were active.)  I did preservelocal, which succeeded.  I then
> did 15 more preservelocals without doing checklocal, and then typed
> 'end'.  repair hung for a while (a minute?) and then exited with an
> ioctl error.  Venus had then unmounted /coda and was wedged.

Yes, I have seen this sometimes.  The repair just wedges or returns an
error and after that the client seems to be a quivering wreck
requiring an init to get it right.

> On reinit, I found that the ,v file was 0 length, and thus was lost.
> I decided it wasn't worth pulling it from backups, since I didn't
> really need the history of this file (I'm a compulsive rcs user for
> things not in cvs....).

when I hit problems my first move is to grab the tar file in
/usr/coda/spool/<uid> so I can keep most of my modifications, at least
the ones that were done more than 10 minutes ago.

--
Brett Lymn