Coda File System

Re: General comment about CODA. Re: Fixing inconsistencies

From: Matthew R Welland <mattwell_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:30:31 -0400
> Having a special mode for directory conflicts where two new files
> with the same name get disambiguated might make sense.  The other
> repair issues are IMHO really two subproblems:
>
> 1) most serious - repair just loses sometimes.  Jan is working on this
>    by moving away from the 'local repair volume' kludge.
>
> 2) it would be nice to have a really spiffy gui repair tool aimed at
>    typical windows users so people who aren't familiar with things
>    could use it.

Don't forget Linux gui users also!

> Running repair when it works isn't that hard.  You get the 'global'
> and 'local' directories with the copies of the files, and can select
> 'preservelocal' and 'discardlocal' etc.  All my grief has been of the
> 'inconsistent local object' variety :-(

I think the preservelocal/discardlocal mechanism can be confusing. Does the
"local" refer to the client I am on? What if I am doing my repairs on my
workstation but the file I want to keep is the one I updated on my laptop?
Which one is local? I would want to be able to quickly view those files
before choosing which to keep.

>       Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>

Matt