Coda File System

Re: Is Coda Right For Me.

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:58:43 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Kevin,

> > But a close() after writing and open() before reading will be very
> > time-consuming. I haven't tried Coda on 100Mbit network but I can't
> > expect over 7Mbyte/sec anyway, so when you start a playback of a 2000M
> > file from Coda, you will have to wait 5 minutes at least (the first time).
> > Similarly with ending a recording.

> And the when a file is closed the system call will block until the changes
> are committed back to the server?  If more than one server is used it has
> to write the changes to *both* server before the close call will return?

sorry I was too cautious while warning you.

The close() delay is present only in case you set strongly connected mode
to know that the files are safely pushed out to the servers at once.

You do not need that mode, while I am accustomed to use it, running
updates on lots of small files and then shutting down my client - I want
the changes to be on the servers in case I trash the client.

The open() delay is unfortunately unavoidable, when you don't have the
file in the cache.

Best regards,
--
Ivan