Coda File System

Re: coda development environment for win32

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:39:36 -0400
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:44:52AM -0700, HUANG,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> Is there a released coda development environment for win32?  I see the
> cygwin ported of coda, but I like to run coda in the native environment (a
> native venus verus cygwin venus).  I assume during the file system
> development, there must exist a development environment.  Any tips are
> greatly appreciated.

Not possible because Coda uses the POSIX interfaces, or as closely as we
can get it. For native Win32 you'd need to either wrap Win32 calls into
equivalent POSIX system calls, which is exactly what cygwin is doing.

Or completely rewrite Coda to use the Win32 API, which is unusable on
all the other platforms that Coda supports and where main development
takes place, so the native Windows port would have a hard time keeping
track of changes and fixes in the main tree and be continuously
outdated.