Coda File System

A user and group db interface

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:24:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello,

I would appreciate a short introduction into the code for accessing
the user and group database.

What are the functions consisting the layer(s) of the access?

Which daemons do which operations?

I hope there is a compact interface layer to an abstract database
containing well-defined objects. (Looked at the code but some extra
guidance would be nice).

My main goal would be to write a (read-only) backend against DCE security
service, that provides among other things lookups between unames,
groupnames, uid, gids and group member lists.

DCE groups cannot contain groups, only users, but recursive groups are
not strictly necessary for Coda, are they?

As well as Coda delegates password maintainance to Kerberos, it would be
able to delegate the user/group database maintainance to DCE,
keeping for itself just acl management.

Of course, external user database shouldn't be mandatory,
like there is an option to use Coda's own authentication
instead of Kerberos.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
--