Coda File System

Re: gcc-3.2

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:44:57 -0500

    Jan> I am also suspicious whether gcc-3.x might be overly
    Jan> agressive in reordering code as it seems like locks are
    Jan> sometimes not properly taken/released in the right places.

This seems to have been observed up to GCC 3.1 at least in XEmacs
code.

Don't weight that information too heavily, though, as Emacs has
historically implemented what should be a C union of several types
(including pointers) with mask-and-cast operations on integers.  So
it's hard to say whether it's our own unclean implementation or a real
GCC bug.