Coda File System

Re: CODA project

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:08:02 +0100 (MET)
Hello Simone,

> /dev/sda1 20Gb /
> /dev/sda3 2Gb /vice
> /dev/sda4 500M RVM LOG Partition
> /dev/sda5 60Gb RVM Metadata
> /dev/sda6 1,6T /vicepa

> 2) The RVM Metadata partition should be 4% of the Storage Area so about 60G
> but howto say don't use more then 315M

you are limited by 1G (tested) or about 1.5G (max) rvm on a 32-bit
architecture. So you would have to run about 50 server processes on each
server host to be able to hold all of your data.
Then your setup will be of course a less trivial one, forcing you into
balancing the data between the servers, I mean server processes, not the
replicas.

It depends though on the average size of your files, the bigger the files,
the more data you can afford. On the other side see Jan's yesterday notes
about dubious usefulness of big files on Coda.

> 3) After installing the libraries and all for coda i started what it say
>
> Congratulations: your configuration is ready...and now
> to get going do the following:
>   - start the auth2 server as: auth2
>   - start rpc2portmap as: rpc2portmap
>   - start updatesrv as: updatesrv
>   - start updateclnt as:  updateclnt -h tva-coda-3
>   - start the fileserver: startserver &
>   - wait until the server is up: tail -f /vice/srv/SrvLog
>   - create your root volume: createvol_rep coda:root E0000100 /vicepa
 [***]
>   - setup a client: venus-setup tva-coda-3 20000
>   - start venus: venus
>   - enjoy Coda.
>   - for more information see http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu.
>
> The venus client is not more into coda ? why i don't find it anymore ?

If you have done make client-install, you have got the client, too.
You don't have to run a client on server hosts.

The messages above, below [***], are just a hint what to do on a client
machine.

The messages above, above [***], are a manual way of starting coda server,
provided all of the binaries are on your path.

> I'll be active soon on that maling list reporting lot of information..

I am afraid you may find Coda too burdensome to setup for your data
amounts. It would be more than an order of magnitude over the biggest Coda
setups ever existed (IIRC).

Best regards,
--
Ivan