Coda File System

Re: bison 1.75

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:40:58 -0500

    Greg> It's not just you.  The whole autoconf to 2.5 transition has
    Greg> been a mess.

OK.

[Self-promoting aside]

If anybody wants to blow off steam about the way things have been
working with the toolchains and distros and apps development, I'd be
interested to hear about it.  There's not much I can _do_ about it,
unfortunately.  But my day hat says "Economist" and I've been looking
into the dynamics of "decentralized software development".  So random
opinions from the trenches, as well as thought-out approaches to
"doing it right", will be useful to me.

    Greg> I used to be in the 'keep it working with 2.13' camp, but I
    Greg> think we (globally) have hit crossover so that autoconf 2.5
    Greg> is 'normal' and 2.14 is 'old', rather than 'bleeding edge'
    Greg> and 'stable'.

Yeah, XEmacs is at that stage too, has been for about 6 months.
Unfortunately, 2.5x is _still_ incapable of handling XEmacs's
configuration needs, so we'll have to port a large suite of aclocal
macros.  :-(  Coda looks simpler, although it does have a bunch of
private macros.