Coda File System

Re: Doiung the repair limbo

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:40:46 -0500
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:34:45PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> > You are right that this is a very unusual state, in fact we shouldn't be
> > able to enter Connected state while there are pending CML entries, and
> > you shouldn't have conflicts when everything is reintegrated. Can you do
>
> > 'cfs ck' to snapshot a checkpoint file. Maybe it will give an error
> Gaspra(sneumann):etc>cfs ck
> VIOC_CHECKPOINTML: Invalid argument

Ok, that should occur when there is no known CML for the volume. So in
that respect the listvol info is correct and there are no pending CML
entries.

> > (i.e. there is no CML). Or it will actually manage to write the .cml and
>   175 Dec  2 09:49 coda.vol.ai@_coda_vol_ai.cml
>  2048 Dec  2 09:49 coda.vol.ai@_coda_vol_ai.tar
> Nothing special in there
>
> > .tar files, interesting to know where that ows.c file really is located.
> I did a find /coda and locate and found
> Gaspra:/coda # find /coda -noleaf -name *ows.c
> /coda/vol/kernel/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/sparc/kernel/windows.c
> /coda/vol/kernel/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/cris/kernel/shadows.c

Unlikely candidates, their location is so different, they are probably
even in a different volume.

>   Connection State is WriteDisconnected
> 	Gaspra:/coda/vol/ai/share # touch bla
> 	succeeded
>
> different machine(!):
> 	aipc10(sneumann):share>ls -l
> 	-rw-r--r--   1 codadmin nogroup         0 Dec  9 18:31 bla
>
> again gaspra:
> 	Gaspra:/coda/vol/ai/share # cfs reconnect
> 	-rw-r--r--   1 codadmin nogroup         0 Dec  9 18:31 bla
>

> So the file appeared on both machines immediately.
> State is still strange...

Yeah, something is strange, when the client is write-disconnected,
updates shouldn't just show up everywhere at the same time. Reinit is
probably your best bet right now, I don't think we can figure out
exactly how we got into this state, but it definitely has something to
do with the repair session.