Coda File System

Re: coda on RedHat 8.0 ?

From: Rod Van Meter <Rod.VanMeter_at_nokia.com>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 13:13:29 -0800
On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 18:35, ext Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:54:43PM -0800, Rod Van Meter wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 07:38, ext Jan Harkes wrote:
> >
> > > That bug should only exist in kernels before 2.4.10. If the default
> > > kernel version is lower, there is probably a more recent kernel
> > > available with the RedHat security updates, some security fixes were
> > > in more recent 2.4 kernels.
> >
> > You mean it's now okay ot use ext3 as /vicepa?
>
> That has always been possible, only Coda clients had a problem because
> the kernel module was accessing the container files directly from within
> kernel space, i.e. without going through the VFS. We fixed that
> somewhere around the Linux 2.4.10 release.
>
> It is quite funny if you use ext3 with an external logfile. You cannot
> store the logfile in another ext3 filesystem because they are not using
> a valid filehandle to access it and writes are lost.

Let me get this straight, just to be sure (probably others are wanting
the same info, anyway):

Client:
file cache in /usr/coda: ext3 okay since 2.4.10 kernel, okay in new
2.5.x

Server:
log partition/file: raw partition preferred, ext2 okay, ext3 NOT okay?
data partition/file: raw partition preferred, ext2 okay, ext3 ?
file data partition: ext3 okay, ext2 okay

> Grab the new release, all rpm's were compiled on RH-8.0

Thanks!  I'll be trying the new release shortly.

		--Rod