Coda File System

Re: no joy on RH8.0 -- empty VLDB, other problems

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:50:01 -0500
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 12:37:15PM -0800, Rod Van Meter wrote:
> bad VLDB:
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2000/2232.html
> suggests making sure that update is running (codasrv is apparently
> needed, too), then running bldvldb.sh.

He already created the rootvolume. If you did, check if it is actually
listed in,
    /vice/vol/remote/sagarmatha.nokia.net.list

> V_BindToServer: binding to host sagarmatha.nokia.net
> VolMakeVLDB failed with Unknown RPC2 return code 102

Not sure what causes this error, there should be a file
/vice/vol/BigVolumeList, which is a concatenation of everything in
/vice/vol/remote/. This BigVolumeList is then passed to the server which
creates the VLDB.

> hostname problems:
> But, when I run startserver, SrvLog contains:
>
> Hostname of this server (sagarmatha.nokia.net) is not listed in
> /vice/db/servers. Exiting.

The server actually matches by ip-address, i.e. it does a
gethostbyname(hostname()) and then does a gethostbyname() for each entry
in /vice/db/servers to check if the ip-addresses match. It is common on
RedHat systems that gethostbyname(hostname()) return 127.0.0.1. This is
caused by the way they set up the /etc/hosts file.

A result of this is that the VLDB will contain 127.0.0.1 as the
ip-address of the server, and clients won't be able to connect.

> The first problem I ran into was in vice-setup-rvm.  It calls rvmutl
> and rdsinit.  Unfortunately, the path is hard coded, and wrong.  This
> will fix it for the Red Hat RPMs you posted:

Hmm, the correct path should have been found and substituted into those
scripts when configure was run. Maybe Casey built this on a machine that
had a version of rvmutl and rdsinit in /usr/local.