Coda File System

the building tools

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:15:10 +0100 (MET)
Hello!

I am concerned about the default behaviour of one of the Coda building
tools, namely libtool.

I am rebuilding lwp,rpc2,rvm libraries and I see that libtool is used and
that it tries hard to compile library paths into the libraries and
the binaries.

While it *is* possible to live with that, it is, well, inconvenient. I
would like to have an option of moving the libraries and/or choosing the
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH) path at runtime.

One of the reasons for deploying shared libraries is to be able to use the
same binary with different versions of libraries, choosing the bindings at
runtime.

rpath is harmful as I cannot change the binding later, I am forced into
replacing the library "in place", hence cannot use different versions in
parallel at all.

Just my 0.02 euro to let you know
some people do not like rpath :-)

rpath may be useful for some installations, but do not make it
inevitable (my workaround is to comment out two lines in configure, and
then it works like a charm, no rpath - but it is not the Right Fix)

(...it is certainly cofigurable somewhere in the autoconf suite?..)

Yours,
--
Ivan