Coda File System

Re: Coda and qmail

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:48:46 -0500
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:34:31PM +0100, Simone Sestini wrote:
> I'm planning to do a new mail server project using qmail and coda.
> Qmail menage coda with a simple patch file so no problem at all..
> I was planning to do 3 server machine
> Each server machine will contain a 73Gb U160 HD and i'll partition it for
> use about 50Gb on each machine for the mail..
> Anyone has a similar configuration running ?

Not that I know of. Although maildir is the best way to store email in
Coda (I store my own email the same way). The large amount of files make
it less than ideal as each message eats up space in RVM. Another problem
you're likely to hit is the directory size, a Coda directory won't scale
past 256KB, and this limits the number of messages to just over 5000.

Also revalidation after disconnection, f.i. when I dial in with my
laptop, takes a long time because each separate file is checked for
updates when new mail has arrived.

These problems are the reason I'm not yet able to store the linux-kernel
mailinglist in Coda, it easily generates between 6k and 8k messages a month.