Coda File System

Re: Coda Server Access Optimizations

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:49:58 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Brian White wrote:

> > If the 'observed' bandwidth of the link to the servers A,B, and C is
> > above the weak-connected threshold (about 64kB/s) the Coda client pushes
> > updates to all servers.
>
> If there are many sites, does only one have to be belowe the threshold
> before it goes to the single-push/server resolution method?

My guess is that if one of the servers hosting the relevant replica is
below the threshold, then the client changes the update mode.

> Ideally, someone from here can take their laptop to another office, plug
> it in to the wall, and not be able to tell much of a difference from their
> home site.  NIS and some clever DHCP/DNS takes care of the networking
> aspects; now I need to solve the filesystem difficulties.

Coda looks like the best fit for that task (with the added possibility to
work on the way from one office to the other, without paying for Internet
connection during the flight :-)

Regards,
--
Ivan