Coda File System

Re: remote mailchecking via coda

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:47:52 -0500
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:02:43PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> * avoid writing to coda unless the state would change, so there are no
>   gratuitous invalidation callbacks
>
> * pseudo-mailbox checked by notebook is in a directory by itself, so I
>   don't invalidate my homedir, which would take longer to fetch
>
> Watching codacon, I see the callback when mail arrives, and a GetAttrs
> of Mailbox shortly after.  The stat every 10s from the mailcheck
> applet normally doesn't cause network traffic.

I use maildir format mailboxes and simply count the number of entries
returned by readdir and subtract 2 (which are the ever present '.' and
'..' names).

As a result when new mail arrives, my 'mailbox poller' only reads the
$CODA_HOME/Mail/new directory and nothing else. I left it up to the
hoard daemon (or the email client) to pull the actual mails into the
cache.