Coda File System

Re: Coda on FreeBSD

From: Tim Robbins <tjr_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:11:23 +1100
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:12:23PM -0800, Tak Pui LOU wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I compiled Coda 5.3.20. So, this bug should be fixed. Right? Then, what
> should I do to my kernel to install a coda client? The coda module
> ("options CODA") seems to work but "pseudo-device vcoda 4" does not
> compile.

It looks like you need to use "device" instead of "pseudo-device". This is
in /sys/conf/NOTES on 5.0:

# Coda stuff:
options         CODA                    #CODA filesystem.
device          vcoda   4               #coda minicache <-> venus comm.

At the moment I'm just using the Coda loadable kernel module (coda.ko)
and not staticly linking Coda into the kernel -- it's easier to debug
it this way.

> Also, are the files under /usr/src/sys/coda being used for compiling the
> coda kernel module? They seem very old to me. The coda.h says it is
> release 3.1. So, I am wondering what the correct procedure of setting up a
> coda client is.

Coda 5 seems to be compatible with this kernel code even though it's from
an earlier release. There may be missing features.

The procedure I'm using to set up a Coda client is this:

venus-setup server 20000
kldload coda
venus

Tim