Coda File System

Re: gzip not found - codacli-a7 windows xp

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:31:52 -0500
On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:15:04PM -0500, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> i am trying coda client "alpha 7" in windows xp;
> but i have a strane error...
> --
> tar <child>: gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
> tar <child>: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Ok gzip binary can't be found.

> i don't know why, i have not searched so deep, but
> 1) all binries are in /bin, from cygwin something is in /bin, other in
> /usr/bin
> 2) from windows (cmd.exe, explorer) /usr/bin is *clean*
> 3) trying tar -zxvf usr.local.tgz from cmd.exe: ok
> 4) the same from cygwin: ok

Hmm, so it basically works when you're not using the wise installer.

> 5) in (windows) path there are both e:\cygwin\usr\bin (default) and
> e:\cygwin\bin (i have added it)

I didn't think cygwin actually used the windows path. It should be
setting the unix 'PATH' environment variable in /etc/bash_profile. I
haven't looked at the installer, but perhaps it is setting its own path
environment which doesn't include where you installed cygwin.

> i took note of the "closin' source" of windows version for coda, but it's
> not a good reason to "take out of control" the installation,

The windows version of Coda is not closed source, it builds from the
same source tree as the unix versions. Only the source for the kernel
module that hooks our userspace code into the NT/2000/XP filesystem
cannot be released at this time.

> for me the binaries idea of coda (for windows) is good, but a zip without
> nothing else is better or if community want, both the thing (wise + zip)

The wise installer is there because we don't really want people to hack
their registry settings by hand and to get a somewhat standardized
installation. This makes it easier to reproduce problems.