Coda File System

Re: RVM_EINTERNAL, testing

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:08:33 -0500
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:31:38AM +0100, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> At 01.16 18/03/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >c) installed on a windows xp, without sp1, only a few patch, minimal
> >cygwin (obviously with perl)
> >        well: first install: tar error (see post below) don't know why.
> >        then on second install it worked,
> >        but my venus.conf was with 050 permission ( ---r-x--- )
> >        fixed, not RVM_EINTERNAL, but RVM_ENOT_MAPPED
> >        unintalled and reinstalled coda, same thing
>
> also note that i have found another relationship
> mapprivate="0" -> RVM_EINTERNAL
> mapprivate=1 -> RVM_ENOT_MAPPED

The RVM_ENOT_MAPPED is to be expected because cygwin (or perhaps
windows?) doesn't like mmap with the combination of flags that we need
to get the RVM data image loaded at the right address (MAP_FIXED).
Anonymous mmaps work, probably because they just use up swapspace and
don't need vma's and soforth.

I'm not sure why you are getting EINTERNAL with mapprivate set to 0. It
indicates that something unexpected happened, and the most common reason
is when someone has a clock that ticks backward in time.

The other place where it is commonly generated is where we manage
mmapped segments. If the operating system fails to satisfy our mmap
request, or returns overlapping regions, or simply doesn't place the
mapping at the address we requested it.