Coda File System

Re: Further adventures in NetBSD kernel coda support

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:08:27 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Coda _has_ worked fine on BSD for a long time.  There was a change in

Sure.

I was thinking about the realms-aware code, as I have had problems on
FreeBSD.

> NetBSD vfs locking rules for lookup recently (in 1.6 but not 1.5), and
> that introduced a problem in the coda code.  With my fix, I think the

Ah, now I see.

> I have not looked at the Darwin code; Coda worked fine (the kernel
> part) on FreeBSD 3.x, so it is probably either ok or reasonably easy
> to port.

Nice to hear. But we shall not port the old code, realms have to be there.

> from the realms code.  The changes aren't hard, though, unless one
> wants to have a kernel that supports both the old and the new way at
> the same time.  I'm leaning towards
> options	 CODA_NOREALMS

I do not see any good reason to do so. I have run a mix of realms-aware
and realms-unaware clients, it was not a problem to set up some symlinks
and choose a realm "compatibility name" to give them the corresponding
filetree views.

In my very humble opinion the realm-less "mode" should be avoided as it
places an arbitrary limitation that people tend to percept as a "natural"
one.
It is not too hard to upgrade both a kernel module and venus at the same
time, the earlier the better :)
so why spend developer's precious time maintaining the compatibility mode?

Best regards Greg,
--
Ivan