Coda File System

Re: venus randomly dies

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:26:57 -0700
On 05/01/03, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure how easy it is to change this. There definitely isn't a
> command line or venus.conf option, so it would require a recompile.

so then, does it help me to run maxclients at 100, or is that excessive?
i'm unsure how to best tune that number. is there a tool for observing
what venus is doing with its clients?

> The thing that is interesting in your log is that all objects have a
> 'writer'. What kind of updatedb or slocate is running on your system?
> It might be opening all the files O_RDWR, which triggers venus to write
> back all the files after fetching.

that's a good question. i'm running slocate 2.6, that came standard
with the redhat install this machine is based on. i added /coda to
updatedb.conf, so perhaps that will help matters. it seems that
updatedb starts in cron at 4:02am, which matches the 4:03am where the
log spew begins.

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/
          pala : saturn5 productions