Coda File System

Re: Newbie question about clone

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:01:24 -0400
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:56:29PM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Jeremy Kuo wrote:
> >    And is it true that readonly volume can't(or should not) be mounted?
>
> I cannot say anything about clone usability, it can probably be considered
> deprecated (?)

I guess they are :) venusvol.cc has the following code,

    case ROVOL: /* Readonly replicated volume are not supported */
            break;

But the type BACKVOL, is supported. I must have done this when reworking
the volume structures in the client, a lot of cruft got removed and
there probably was some ugly code to support the AFS style (readonly)
replicated volumes that were not actually found in the VRDB. A volume
structure used to be the same for each type of volume, but the rewrite
split them up into 'physical' volume replicas that are located on a
specific server, and 'logical' replicated volumes that map to several
volume replicas. The AFS style replication was probably implemented as a
physical volume with several locations, which doesn't nicely fit in the
new layout.

Readonly clones of a volume replica should probably become type BACKVOL
at some point.