Coda File System

Re: 6.0.1: Can't authenticate (Was Re: repair hangs)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:03:34 -0400
On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 05:45:21AM -0400, Mark Hindley wrote:
>  > Does 'host titan.home.hindley.uklinux.net' work?
>
> Yes -- I am only on a dial-up link and run dns just for the 2 machines
> that are networked here:

I use /etc/hosts for the 3 machines I have at home, but that shouldn't
make a difference.

> mark_at_titan:~% host titan.home.hindley.uklinux.net
> titan.home.hindley.uklinux.net has address 192.168.1.1
>
> I have gone back to 5.3.20 clients but still with 6.0.1 server and
> everything seems to work fine. The reintegration (which was the
> original problem I asked about when everything was 5.3.20) now seems
> to be reliable too.

I wonder what 6.0.1 is doing wrong. Could you strace a failing clog run?
The 6.0.1 Coda clients should be having problems as well, they use
identical code to resolve the servers within a realm.

> Am I missing anything important if I don't use 6.0.1 clients?

For the most part, realms and then some small bugfixes left and right.
But what is probably more important, as long as the problem isn't
identified and resolved, it won't get fixed in any upcoming releases.