Coda File System

Re: Server only handling one transaction at a time?

From: <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:55:19 -0400
Forgot to 'cc' the codalist...

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 05:27:55PM +0200, Peter Sch?ller wrote:
> During testing we noticed that the server seems to be handling only one
> transaction at a time, regardless of which client it is coming from. So
> suppose A is copying a large file onto /coda, all operations (read AND write)
> from other clients have to wait.
>
> Is this how it's supposed to work or is something wrong? I wouldn't want to
> accidently launch a DoS attack on the server if I'm sometime on a modem
> copying a 1 meg file onto Coda :)
>
> If this is expected behavior - is it server-wide or volume-wide or something
> else?

There are volume wide RW locks. When a client is connected over a modem
we use trickle reintegration which doesn't (shouldn't) lock down the
volume as the file is sent to the server in small fragments and the
actual 'commit' is only performed once the complete file is already
present on the server.

We use volumes to avoid most write sharing. f.i. my email folders are
stored in a separate volume. The email delivery always occurs on my
desktop, so even when I'm working from home and reintegrating large
files this doesn't affect the delivery process.