Coda File System

Re: I can't create a root-volume

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:25:32 -0400
On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:57:07PM +0200, Marko Klaus wrote:
>  i have a nasty problem, I installed everything and succeded with
> vice-setup, but i can't create a root volume. The SrvLog says that
>
> CheckVRDB: Could not open VRDB

That is normal when there are no volumes yet.

> SrvErr says that
>
> Could not open key 2 file: No such file or directory

Ignore that, it has something to do with rotating the auth2.tk, which is
used to encode the Coda authentication tokens, on a daily basis.

> When I try to create a root-vol:
>
> createvol_rep coda_root E0000100 /vicepa
> /usr/sbin/createvol_rep: ELF: command not found

That "ELF: command not found" message is unusual. The only way to find
out what is responsible for this line is to run

    sh -x createvol_rep coda_root ...

> V_BindToServer: binding to host desaster
> RPC2NewBinding to server desaster failed with RPC2Binding(F)

Check the SCM server name in /vice/db/scm, I guess that would be
desaster. Check if the name resolves to the right ip-address and whether
volutil can connect.

    cat /vice/db/scm
    host `cat /vice/db/scm`
    volutil dumpvrdb /tmp/vrlist
    volutil -h `cat /vice/db/scm` dumpvrdb /tmp/vrlist

Both of those variants of volutil should succeed if your server is up
and running. The first connects to the ip-address of localhost and the
second to the ip-address of desaster.