Coda File System

Re: [Re: I can't create a root-volume] and now I have a different failure-message

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:18:32 -0400
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:35:50PM +0200, Marko Klaus wrote:
> + PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin
> + export PATH
> + prefix=/usr
> + vicedir=/vice
> + . codaconfedit server.conf

This is very strange, my local copy of this file has,

    . "`codaconfedit server.conf`"

Which means 'evaluate the file that is returned when running the command
"codaconfedit server.conf"'. i.e. codaconfedit searches for the location
of your server.conf configuration file and returns the path. We then
interpret the contents of this file as a shell script and as a result
load all the configuration variables.

What your code seems to do is to try and interpret the codaconfedit
binary as a shell script and it breaks when it fails to execute the elf
header as a command.

> ++ ELF
> createvol_rep: ELF: command not found

> + '[' '!' -f /vice/hostname -o '!' -f /vice/db/scm ']'
> ++ cat /vice/hostname
> ++ cat /vice/db/scm
> /* that looks like a failure to me: For me says that String that these two SubStrings are not equal
> */
> + '[' desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de '!=' desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de ']'

Not really, if they were inequal the script would have exited with the
message 'This must be run from the scm (desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de)'.

> ++ cat /vice/db/scm
> + volutil -h desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de dumpvrdb /vice/db/VRList.new
> V_BindToServer: binding to host desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de
> RPC2_NewBinding to server desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de failed with RPC2_NOBINDING (F)

This just looks like the coda server isn't running.

> /* what does the following String: Is it the scm-nr?
> */
> + '[' 255 -ne 0 ']'
> + echo 'Failed to dump the current VRDB into /vice/db/VRList.new'
> + exit 1

No 255 is -1, which is the exit code of volutil after if fails, we need
volutil to succeed before proceding any further, the next step would be
to check if the volume you want to create doesn't already exist as a
replicated volume.