Coda File System

non-SCM failover

From: UpFront Technology <upfronttechnology_at_columbus.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:25:40 -0400
Hello,

	First, let me say, the more I explore CODA's possibilities, the more I love
it.

	ENVIRONMENT:
	Linux Red Hat 7.3
	coda -5.3.20-1   RPM's
	Four servers from Dell Poweredge to generic
	SCM acts as client also

Here is my problem.  I have successfully set up CODA several times with
success.  Now, I am currently running CODA with a SCM and (1) non-SCM.  I
set up the servers according to the documentation (E0000100 as root.vol on
SCM), then I set up a replicated volume (E0000107 web) replicated between
both SCM and non-SCM.

	When I mount...I believe the E0000100 is mounted first (as /coda).  I say I
believe because I never set a mount point and  get this output:

[root_at_OLIVIA CODA]# cfs lv /coda
  Status of volume 0x7f000000 (2130706432) named "root.vol"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 4
  The partition has 4457092 blocks available out of 4502804
  Write-back is disabled

ALSO------------------------
[root_at_OLIVIA CODA]# cfs lv /coda/public_html
  Status of volume 0x7f000003 (2130706435) named "web"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 5887
  The partition has 4457092 blocks available out of 4502804
  Write-back is disabled

As you can see, I have /public_html mapped to volume "web" UNDER /coda
(mapped to root.vol, which is NOT replicated)

When the SCM goes down, the clients can not see the volume.  /public_html
shows with the nasty "red block" (either blinking or static) around the
directory, I believe it has lost the link.

I believe the problem lies in not replicating the parent directory as well.
Thoughts are much appreciated.

thanks

Joe