Coda File System

Re: spontaneous local/global conflict, and how things got worse

From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner_at_fz-juelich.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:20:48 +0200
jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu said:
> the address you are sending from is not subscribed, so I've been
> forwarding your emails to the list

Thanks -- didn't know that, sorry for the trouble. Just subscribed.

> 5.3.20 and singly replicated volumes have a bug that causes reintegrated
> directory operations to conflict with those that were reintegrated
> previously.

So I've decided to use 6.0.2 (as written in the "compiler bug" mail).
It works _much_ better. "cvs update" worked well.
There are still some glitches, but it looks manageable.

> > cvs update: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Interrupted system call
> That's as far as I remember a weirdness in the BSD kernel modules. For
> some reason it automatically aborts an operation if venus doesn't send a
> reply within some time limit (60 seconds?).

As I understand the kernel code, it waits 128 times 2 seconds, where
each wait can be interrupted by a signal. So without signals occuring,
the timeout is almost 5 minutes. On the other hand, with many signals
occuring, the time gets shorter.
Once I really understand what this is supposed to do, I might be able
to do something about it.
Btw, I can easily trigger this by running "bonnie" in the /coda tree
(on 6.0.2).

Another problem I've just found is related to file lookups.
(tried to compile a kernel in the CVS tree on /coda)

$ ls -l ../../../../compat/linux/arch/i386/../../common/linux_pipe.c
ls: ../../../../compat/linux/arch/i386/../../common/linux_pipe.c: No such file
or directory
$ ls -l ../../../../compat/linux/common/linux_pipe.c
-rw-r--r--  1 drochner  65534  3168 Jan 20  2003 ../../../../compat/linux/commo
n/linux_pipe.c

It doesn't happen with trivial test cases with 2 or 3 directory levels.

best regards
Matthias