Coda File System

Re: Is venus-setup obsolete?

From: Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:40:07 +0100

Hmmm,

I've now tried this but keep getting the same version error message as
before.

root_at_kryten:/usr/src/linux-coda# make config

Linux Coda Configuration Script

The default responses for each question are correct for most users.

The Coda driver needs to be compiled to match the kernel it
will be used with, or it may fail to load.

How would you like to set kernel-specific options?
     1 - Read from the currently running kernel
     2 - Read from the Linux source tree
Enter option (1-2) [1]:

The running kernel is version 2.4.21-xfs.

We need to link against the current kernel headers.
In some cases things will work when we use the copy of the
kernel headers in /usr/include/linux which are used by glibc.

First try /usr and if the resulting module cannot be
inserted with insmod and complains about unresolved symbols
then install the headers or source of the running kernel and
give the path where they are installed (i.e. /usr/src/linux)

Linux source directory [/usr]: /usr/src/linux
Alternate target install directory []:
   Module install directory [/lib/modules/2.4.21-xfs]:
Extracting kernel symbol versions...
Kernel configuration options:
     Symmetric multiprocessing support is disabled.
     Module version checking is disabled.
     Proc fs support is enabled.

Configuration successful.

Strangely I get the following srom syslog when I insert the module:

Sep  3 15:30:56 kryten kernel: Coda Kernel/Venus communications,
v5.3.18, coda_at_cs.cmu.edu

Now _that_ looks like the wrong version!  BTW wouldn't it make sense to
supply the correct module version in the debian packages in the first place?

- --
Ian Smith

Saltstone Media Limited
The Old Workhouse, Union Road,