Coda File System

Re: Creating & populating volumes, etc

From: Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:05:06 +0100

Ivan Popov wrote:

> <sigh> I have been so glad you answered to Ian, Steffen!

Teamwork, that's what it's about ;)

> You should have answered to vice-setup about the name of your rootvolume,
> it creates an implicit moutpoint at the root of your cell.

Yep.

> I think you should have a file /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME containing the name of
> your rootvolume.

50 $ cat /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME
rootvolume

That's why I was worried about the one I created called rootvolume!

> I think because you did not yet create any objects in Coda.

OK, that's cool

> Your root volume should be in place after the server start, and it is,
> according to your next letter:

Yes, I had to edit /vice/db/servers and add .localdomain then restart
the server to get that to appear.  I think I might have to edit
/vice/db/VSGDB too - any thoughts?

51 $ cat /vice/db/VSGDB
E0000100 kryten

52 $ cat /vice/db/servers
kryten.localdomain              1

> Remember, this command is used in a client, and it does not help that you
> are root - you have to have Coda credentials for the sufficiently powerful
> account (that you have created in Coda database during your vice-setup).
>
> clog should help you. You do not have to be logged in as root to do that.

OK, will do, thanks.

> Good luck Ian!

I think I'm nearly there, thanks!

- --