Coda File System

Re: Metadata partition size

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:23:48 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:30:39PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Sunday 07 September 2003 23:41, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > Ok, cool. Yeah the whole RVM data partition is loaded (mmapped) into
> > virtual memory. Which makes the server pretty swap heavy.
>
> Why is this needed? Users need twice the amount of disk space the metadata
> actually takes.

Just the way RVM works. The data partition contains the last known
consistent state. The application only modifies the in-memory copy and
logs it's actions to the RVM log. Once in a while the logged
transactions are committed to the underlying RVM data file.

Private mmaps helps a bit because unmodified pages don't have to be
written to swap under memory pressure as they are reloaded from RVM
data.

> > > but I can't use clog (I chose user id 1000 & "coda" as coda superuser):
> > >
> > > [17:26] root_at_demeter# clog coda
> > > username: coda
> > > Password:
> > > Invalid login (RPC2_NOBINDING (F)).
> >
> > If you are using 6.0, that should be pretty simple. clog simply doesn't
> > know which realm it is supposed to be talking to. So you can do
> > something like 'clog coda_at_myrealmdomainname', and if that works you can
> > set the default realm in /etc/coda/venus.conf and use the unqualified
> > 'clog coda' from then on.
>
> No luck...

Then I don't really know what's wrong. If the auth2 daemon is running we
should at least be able to get a binding even if the password is
incorrect. Maybe strace/tcpdump can give a clue where clog is trying to
send it's packets to.